Solar panels create electricity for your home by harnessing the power of the sun. Here’s how the panels produce energy:
- Sunlight strikes the panels, where photons and electrons knock into each other to generate an electrical current.
- The electrical current travels from the panels to your solar inverter, which converts the energy created from your panels into usable energy for your home.
- The energy moves from the inverter to your breaker box, which spreads the energy throughout your home.
- Any excess energy goes back to your utility meter and remains available for use. If your state allows for net metering, you can send excess energy to the grid and use it to earn energy credits on your next electric bill.
Benefits Of Solar In Virginia Beach
Solar panels are a great addition to your home. Many Virginia Beach residents discover the potential financial and environmental benefits that make your panels a great long-term investment.
- Own Your Power — As a renewable energy source, solar sets up your home to be less reliant on the grid. This helps to protect your family from rising utility rates.
- Potentially Reduce Your Electric Bill — Solar panels allow you to generate your own power, thus helping you to potentially save thousands of dollars on your electric bills over your system’s lifetime.
- Qualify For Federal Tax Credit — Qualified homeowners can currently claim a federal tax credit of up to 26% for installing solar panels on their property.5
- Potentially Increase Your Property’s Value — Solar has risen in popularity as more people discover the benefits of potentially lowering their electric bills. Recent reports suggest that solar can increase your home’s value, making it a great long-term investment should you sell your home.
- Reduce Your Carbon Footprint — Solar energy is a renewable replacement to fossil fuels that can help you minimize your environmental impact by lowering your carbon footprint.
What Happens to Excess Solar Energy?
Your solar panels may generate more energy than you use at certain times of the day. This excess energy can be used in a couple of ways:
Store excess energy in a backup battery.3
If your panels produce excess energy, the extra power can be stored in your Generac battery backup to be used in the event of a grid power outage or at night when your panels are not producing any electricity. In addition, the stored energy can fill the gaps when your home’s solar panels are not producing at full capacity.
Use excess energy via net metering.
Net metering is the process of sending extra energy that your solar panels produce back to the grid in exchange for credits on future electric bills. If your panels produce extra energy, you can be credited for the energy you sell back (often at a 1-to-1 ratio), meaning that you sell it back at the same price you would buy it. This is a great incentive for using solar energy, but it’s important to note that some utility companies do not offer net metering. Availability, excess credits and other requirements vary by area and utility providers.
Solar Panel Installation In Virginia Beach
- Request a free quote by filling out a form. One of our solar representatives will contact you to discuss if your home is eligible for solar panels and then schedule your free in-home consultation.
- One of our experienced solar consultants will evaluate your home and energy consumption to determine the best size solar system for you. You’ll be presented a custom proposal based on your home’s specific energy needs. Once you’ve signed your contract, we’ll begin taking the necessary steps to prepare for installation.
- On installation day, we’ll arrive at your home on time and carefully install your solar panel array so no damage comes to your roof or home. You can expect the installation process to take a day or two. We’ll also test your system and clean up our workspace before we leave.
Cost of Solar in Virginia Beach, VA
Solar energy has become more affordable in the Virginia Beach area. The cost of a solar system depends on factors such as your roof’s shading, your energy usage and your energy goals. The experts at POWERHOME SOLAR can create a tailored solution for your home so you get the most savings.
The cost of solar panels is calculated based on dollars per watt. To design your custom solar solution, we consider how many panels you need based on the number of watts your home typical uses.
Your Virginia Beach Solar Panel Installation Cost Includes The Following:
This includes the solar panels, inverters, wiring, conduit, mounting racks and mounting hardware.
A Custom Solar System
Once you sign the contract, our team begins designing a system, filing the relevant permits and proceeding with the setup for your installation.
A Time And Date For Your Installation
On the day of installation, our team carefully installs and tests your system to ensure that it’s working properly, then cleans up your property as though we were never there!